When Abraham Lincoln reached Washington, D.C. for his inauguration in 1861, his belongings, including his Bible, had yet to arrive. William Thomas Carroll, the clerk of the U.S. Supreme Court, fetched a Bible that he kept for official use. This became the Lincoln Bible. Carroll gave the Bible to his wife and it is inscribed to her in the front. Mrs. Carroll later gave it to Mrs. Robert Todd Lincoln, the president's daughter-in-law.
The Bible, which was gifted to the Library of Congress in 1928 by Mrs. Lincoln, has considerable wear and fading on the outer velvet covering. As it was not possible to duplicate this wear, this replica is made to look as close as possible to how it would have appeared in 1861. When the Bible was donated, it contained markers at the 31st chapter of the Book of Deuteronomy and the fourth chapter of the Book of Hosea.